Saturday, May 29, 2010

Comparing Apples to Apples

There is a saying we all know that goes, "comparing apples to oranges". This basically means to compare two different things with each other. So, it can be assumed that comparing Indian and Mexican food, which is as diverse and different as their cultures, cannot be compared to each other, right? Well, in regards to cooking, yes, I suppose that can still be quite true, although at times, quite the opposite. My personal favorite herb in the world is cilantro, also known as coriander. When I make salsa, I throw in large handfuls of the stuff! As well, when cooking Indian food, I am also very generous with adding it to the final product, or as a perfect ingredient. Other staples of both cuisines are garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Since moving to Colorado 20 years ago, I have become pretty experienced with cooking an array of basic Mexican foods. Then while I was experimenting with Indian recipes, I was quite astonished to realize that these common ingredients are shared with many Mexican dishes. Of course there are a myriad of differences that I could also bring to light, but for now, I just feel like comparing apples to apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment